Thursday, September 21, 2006

Brothers



So, brace yourself, I've changed.

I've been doing some thinking. About Brotherhood.

An Indonesian pastor named Somat was arrested along with the missionary he worked with for forcing christianity on the people. They were both innocent as they force no one to faith. Their sentence was for two years. The missionary, who was American and whose son goes to school here (hence my knowledge of the situation) was released several months ago. Somat has yet to be released. Since the missionary's release, prayer support and awareness has decreased. Why?

The book of Hebrews says we should remember those in prison (3:13 I think). But what got me really thinking about it was the fact that this Guy is my brother in Christ. I mean, he is out there Serving the Lord, and he was imprisoned for it. What would I do if that happened to my actual brother? Or to someone else I know? If this guy is my brother, I should support him like a brother should. If this guy is my brother, how can I look away? I wouldn't do that to my brother Josh. So I've been praying for him, and a group of us here are sending him some letters to encourage him and just try to build him up as he struggles with hope and staying strong when he is so alone in prison. We also shaved our heads. When they were transferred to a third prison they made shaved thier beards and hair. The missionary's son Matthew Rey who goes to school here, shaved his head with a group of guys he was working with and sent them a picture. When Somat saw the picture he was moved to tears that they did that for them. Its a simple act, but an powerful, encouraging one. So we shaved our heads for Somat. So he would know that he is not forgotten or alone. So he knows that people are still praying for him. So he knows his brothers are standing with him through this.

Keep Somat and his family (wife and two kids) in your prayers they are much needed.

So thats the story here. I think it looks pretty good actually :)


3 comments:

Christa said...

yeah, unity in Christ never looked so good. now it seems a bit more alive than a gravestone marking...love you.

Anonymous said...

So hot right now. SO HOT.

Christa said...

my addy is 414 9th st alamosa co 81101